Contributed by: Kimberly Black, 200YT
Get in the Mood….to Exercise!
We all know that great feeling you get after getting a good sweat. It may not surprise you to find out that there is science behind those mood boosting activities. It has been shown that exercise can do all of the following:
• Alleviates depression/increases happiness: Exercising releases endorphins which gives you feelings of happiness and euphoria.
• Helps fight against mental disorder-Exercising releases chemicals that helps fight degeneration of the brain and cognitive disorder.
• Reduces Stress & Anxiety- Exercising allows you to work out any stress or tension that you’ve developed throughout your day, it also released chemicals that help you moderate your stress levels.
• Increases relaxation/Promotes good sleep- If you workout 5-6 hours before going to sleep, it may help you get a better night of rest. Working out raises the core temperature of the body and once it comes back down to normal the body will begin to signal that it’s time to sleep.
Try a couple of these mood boosting activities that will be sure to brighten your day!
• Take a hike- Being out in nature will give you a great rush of endorphins and the extra boost of Vitamin D will also help combat depression.
• Walk the dog-Spending some time with your furry friend will not only help boost your happiness but you’ll also get a good calorie burn in.
• Practice yoga- Yoga is not only great stretch but it also incorporates breathwork and meditation which aid in positive mental health.
• Dance the night away- Dancing is a great way to get some cardio in and grooving to your favorite tunes will put you in a great mood.