Weight Loss; Follow the 80/20 Rule

Contributed by Michael Devon

A core component for successful weight loss is maintaining a caloric deficit with a daily goal of burning more calories than you consume.

A caloric deficit can be achieved through diet, exercise, or a balance of both. It is important to remain consistent with your diet, reminding yourself of the 80/20 rule. In order to maintain optimal health and wellness, 80% of what you eat should contain a variety of nutrient packed foods so that the remaining 20% can be used in moderation to enjoy a slice of pizza or a small bowl of ice cream without feeling guilty.

Depriving yourself week after week of that slice of pizza you keep craving is not always necessary and often creates an all or nothing mindset leading to an unhealthy relationship with food. A whole pizza will surely set your weight loss progress back significantly compared to fitting a few slices into your daily caloric consumption from time to time. Including a side salad with some of your favorite vegetables and a light dressing or some fresh fruit is a healthy habit to develop. Additionally, it provides fuel for your body along with the natural source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals as you satisfy your cravings.

It is possible to enjoy your favorite foods and still lose weight. Although pizza, or whatever your guilty pleasure is, does not provide your body with the best nourishment it needs to remain in a superior state of wellness. However, if you are consuming a diet rich in nutrients the majority of the time; you’ve created some wiggle room to squeeze in some non-nutrient dense foods. This approach provides a means to satisfy your craving and move on, without sacrificing all of your hard work.

Leave a comment

JKFITNESS offers numerous services that are motivating, effective and safe despite the current COVID pandemic.Call NOW to change your life!
+