Contributed by: Amanda Albiar, NCSF-CPT
When it comes to clear, healthy skin, everyone is looking for the perfect answer. Whether it’s a cleanse, detox, trendy face mask or good old fashioned exfoliating, everyone and their mom is willing to try the next big thing to eliminate acne.
According to Dr. Trevor Cates, aka The Spa Doctor and author of her new book “Clean Skin From Within”, there is no one fix for skin problems like acne, dry and flaky skin, red and inflamed skin, etc.
Here are some tips from the Spa Doctor.
1. Watch your sugar intake. When blood sugar rises from excess sugar intake, insulin production increases, triggering sebum production, androgen activity and the dreaded acne.
2. Balance hormones. One thing to try is to stop eating dairy products (milk, cheese, ice cream, etc.) for two weeks and see if you notice a change in your skin. Many people are lactose intolerant and thus dairy can cause skin inflammation.
3. Boost your gut health. Eating probiotic-rich foods such as fermented vegetables or coconut yogurt is a great place to start. For extra support, consider taking a high quality prebiotic and probiotic. These can be added to your in your shakes or mixed into your hummus.
4. Use clean and balancing skincare. It’s important to use skincare products designed with the correct pH and natural ingredients to restore the health of your skin.
5. Fill in your nutrition gaps. Zinc is an important nutrient for clear healthy skin, which you can consume via foods such as green beans, sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
So you many not need to add another face cream or visit your dermatologist; maybe you just need to tweak your diet and stock your fridge with clean foods!
References: WOMANISTA WELLNESS Feb. 2017