Contributed by: Michaela Scroggins, M.Ed., CPT-CSCS
Are you suffering from allergies, the common cold, or are your mornings lacking energy? Here is an easy tip that is just a squeezes away; by simply adding lemon to your water every morning you can bring numerous benefits to your body. Lemon is rich in nutrients like potassium, calcium, pectin fiber, iron, and vitamin A & C. It also supports your immune system and can help protect against different types of infections as well as provide the body with antibacterial properties. Here is a more detailed list of the health benefits of adding lemon to your water:
1. Lemon helps protects the body’s immune system due to its excellent high source of vitamin C.
2. The high potassium contained in lemons can help stimulate brain, nerve function, and control blood pressure.
3. It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that can cause infections and diseases.
4. Having warm lemon juice aids digestion and encourages the production of bile.
5. Lemons contain pectin fiber which is a powerful antibacterial that supports colon health. Additionally, pectin fiber helps fight hunger cravings!
6. Lemon helps keeps the skin clear. The vitamin C component supports a decrease in wrinkles and blemishes.
7. You’ll reduce the acidity level in the body by drinking lemon water every day. Also, Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods.
8. Lemon in water assists in dissolving uric acid that can aid in reducing pain and inflammation in joints.
9. Lemon can help maintain the health of the eyes.
10. After a strenuous workout, lemon juice helps replenish body salts.
So all in all, a fresh squeeze of lemon in your water is well worth the effort, not to mention it makes your water a bit more tasty.