Contributed by: Michaela Scroggins, M.S., NSCA-CPT
The Holidays are among us, and it is the season to be around family and friends! It is also a time where one might indulge in one or too many tasty treats. A good reminder is to enjoy your holiday meal, but it best to try some healthy substitutes for those holiday classics. Sometimes, those healthier options are just as good as and even tastier than the original. There are several great options out there that have less calories, fat, and sugar. Using these options will leave more room for that scrumptious holiday meal versus figuring out how you’re going to fit into your jeans the next week. Here is just one example of a great substitute for the classic green bean casserole. This recipe is gluten free, vegan, and has less calories and fat than the typical Campbell’s soups green bean casserole dishes.
HEALTHY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE (VEGAN)
PREP TIME 45 mins
COOK TIME 20 mins
TOTAL TIME 65 mins
• Heaping ½ cup 365 raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours or overnight
• ½ cup 365 unsweetened almond milk
• 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
• 3 tbsp 365 whole grain bread crumbs (sub gluten-free bread crumbs for gluten-free)
• 3 tbsp gluten-free oat flour
• 2½ tsp salt (divided)
• 2 lbs 365 frozen cut green beans
• 1 tbsp 365 extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2-8oz packages sliced mushrooms, chopped
• ⅛ tsp 365 ground nutmeg
• 1 tbsp soy sauce (sub tamari for gluten-free)
• ¼ cup dry white wine
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for at least four hours or overnight.
2. Blend soaked cashews with almond milk in a blender or food proccessor (I used my nutribullet) until completely smooth and creamy. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 475F.
4. Place onions, bread crumbs, flour and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl, tossing to combine. Be sure to separate each individual onion piece. Spread onions in an even layer on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or lined with a silipat. Spray onions once again with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes, tossing halfway through. Once onions are done cooking, remove from oven and lower oven heat to 350F for casserole.
5. Bring a large pot with two inches of water to a boil. Once boiling add green beans. Bring back to a boil and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and run cold water over green beans to stop cooking. Set aside.
6. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add onion. Cook for five minutes and then add garlic and mushrooms. Cook for another ten minutes, stirring often. Add nutmeg, soy sauce, white wine, 1½ tsp salt, and pepper. Simmer for about five minutes.
7. Stir in cashew cream and ¼ of the baked onions. Stir in cooked green beans.
8. Spread mixture into a large casserole dish. Top with remaining baked onions. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
RECIPE FROM: http://www.hummusapien.com/healthy-green-bean-casserole-vegan/