Contributed by: Ciara Floyd, M.S., NSCF-CPT, NSCA-CSCS
Exercising outdoors during the hottest days of summer can be difficult and dangerous, but it can also be fun if your smart about your training. The excessive temperatures and high humidity can lead to heat exhaustion and heat stroke if you are not properly prepared.
The following guidelines can help ensure you stay safe while exercising outdoors.
• Exercise in the early morning or late evening, you may even catch a beautiful sunrise.
• Drink water throughout the day to ensure you are hydrated.
• Keep water with you while you exercise, in case of emergencies.
• Wear lightweight clothing that wick away sweat and keep your body cool.
• Be mindful of how you feel- if you begin to feel lightheaded, dizzy, or stop sweating suddenly stop exercising immediately and find some shade!
Follow these tips during the hot summer months and stay healthy with safe outdoor workouts.