10 Things you didn’t know about coconut water
Contributed by: Carol Kline
1. Coconut water consists of 95% water and is clear, light, and refreshing. It is extracted from young, green coconuts that have not reached maturity.
2. It is packed with natural electrolytes, vitamins, minerals, trace elements, amino acids, enzymes, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. It is low in sugar, but surprisingly sweet.
3. Coconut water is the richest dietary source of cytokinins, plant hormones that may have anti-cancer, anti-aging, and anti-thrombolytic benefits in humans.
4. Rich in potassium and magnesium, it aids to regulate blood pressure, improve circulation, reduce plaque formation, and may help increase exercise performance.
5. It’s isotonic and sterile (upon coming out of the coconut) it’s very similar to blood plasma and has been used intravenously in emergency situations for more than 60 years.
6. Studies have shown that coconut water aids in kidney function (by preventing and dissolving kidney stones.)
7. It can also reduce swelling in hands and feet and help prevent abnormal blood clotting.
8. Coconut water is also a great diarrhea and constipation remedy – it is a “digestive tonic”, rich in enzymes, and helps feed friendly gut flora.
9. Coconuts help prevent osteoporosis because of its anti-cancer properties.
10. Coconuts help enhance your skin health (elasticity, age spots, wrinkles), and can improve wound healing!
**Make sure the coconut products you purchase are certified organic and sustainably raised.**