Contributed by: Michaela Scroggins, M.S., CPT-NSCA
Do you suffer from chronic aches and pain? Did you know you can escalate pain within the body by simply consuming the wrong foods? Foods that are processed, have preservatives, sugar, or hormones will cause inflammation in the body. In fact, these foods can be the root cause of disease such as cancer, arthritis, or even diabetes. You can curb this inflammation by consuming anti-inflammatory foods and potenailly alleviate symptoms or reverse the disease itself. Some anti-inflammatory foods include dark leafy greens, antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables, and foods rich in Omega 3 such as fish or flaxseed.
Limit the following FOUR inflammatory foods:
- White flour is at the top of the list because it breaks down into sugar immediately which ultimately raises blood sugar.
- When blood sugar constantly spikes this causes the body to become inflamed according to Julie Daniluk, RHN author of “Meals that Heal Inflammation”.
- Constant inflammation in the body can lead to disease.
French fries/potato chips
- Frying foods at extremely high temperatures in oil creates a neurotoxin chemical called acrylamide.
- According to the National Cancer Institute, acrylameide causes inflammation and increases risk for many types of cancers.
- These products contain nitrates and have been linked to a cancer-causing chemical, due to its inflammatory effect.
- One can enjoy these foods on occasion if they consume Vitamin C with it, for example an orange. Vitamin C helps balance the inflammatory effect of nitrates.
- Either avoid them, bake instead of frying or try switching to nitrate-free bacon.
- Alcohol is a sugar and can ultimately irritate the inner organs and cause inflammation.
- Beer, wine, and liquor all contain alcohol. In moderation, alcohol shouldn’t cause problems.
Daniluk, J. (2012). Meals that heal inflammation: Embrace healthy living and eliminate pain, one meal at a time. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House.